History

The Misamis Oriental High School, now the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School was founded through the initiative of Don Apolinar Velez Y. Ramos, the first elected governor of Misamis Oriental and Misamis Occidental. At the time, only primary education could be obtained in Cagayan de Misamis. After the 4th grade, students had to go either in Manila or to Cebu to continue their studies. Consequently, only the wealthy could send their children to these places and the poor had no opportunity to pursue their studies. This, Governor Velez sought to remedy by putting up the first secondary school in Misamis Province. So he went to Manila the set of then highly centralized Insular Government and conferred with the education officials and finally had an audience with the American Governor-General- William Cameron Forbes. The Governor however, agreed to release only P16, 000.00 for this project estimated to cost P32, 000.00 with the province raising the half or a counterpart fund and setting up a sizeable site for the school building and athletic field.

 

After almost three years of intensive fund campaign Governor Velez was able to put up the first building in the present site of the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School. The site is located in Lot No. 426, Cad. 387, Case 2, Cagayan Cadastre with a total area of 73, 629 hectares.
On the north and northeast side of the building where the Pelaez Sports Center now proudly stands where the vegetable gardens which were owned by several families- the Abrios, Caballeros, Corrales, Dalmans, Damiles, Galans, Mabulays, Pacaliogas, Ralutos, Salusos, Raypons, Saarenas, Tabiques, Velez and Yabuts. They sold their lots for a very low price as their contribution to the project to Ex-Judge Nicolas Capistrano who did not hesitate to exchange the whole area with a less valuable lot in Agusan, Misamis Oriental.

The school was formally inaugurated on December 15, 1909 with the impressive array of national officials attending the ceremonies. The prominent guests included the American Governor-General William Cameron Forbes, Speaker Sergio Osmena Sr, Hon. Manuel L. Quezon of Tayabas, Hon. Jose Clarin of Bohol, Hon. Manuel Tinio of Nueva Ecija, Hon. Dionesio Jacosalem of Cebu and Tomas Earshaw of Manila.
Classes were opened for the intermediate grades and for first year high school. The second, third and fourth year classes were added as soon as funds becomes available. The First Filipino teachers in the intermediate grades were Esperanza Roa Ongpin and Juanita Fenandez -Neri. The School had its first graduation in 1922 with Pilar Gaerlan, Laureana Rabe – Canoy, Milagros Roa Solidium. Messrs Francisco Abejay, Sotero Bacas, Roque Chavez, Ernesto Fernandez, Daniel Gallarita, Clemente Galindo, Pedro Pimentel, Federico Roa and Juan Uriarte as the fist graduates. The early high school course included the intermediate grades but in 192, due to an increase in enrolment and lack of school building, the intermediate students were separated from the high school administration.

American educators charted its course during the years of American colonization but later on they turned over this responsibility to the Filipinos. These were the Principals who provided leadership and guidance by their administration.

 

First American Principal

  1. Henry Smith 1914-1916
  2. Everette Hester 1916-1918
  3. James Burns 1918-1920
  4. Eugene Carlson 1920-1922
  5. Clarence Vaughn 1922-1923
  6. John McMullan 1923-1924
  7. Jessie Ratcliff 1924-1925
  8. Richard Parham 1925-1927

 

Last American Principal

9. William Goldrich 1927-1928

 

First Lady Principal

  1. Luz Melendez (1948-1969)

 

First Filipino Principal

10. Simeon Vale 1928-1932

11. Maximo Jimenez 1932-1938

  1. Tomas Maglaya 1938-1941
  2. Federico Ablan Sr. 1941-1942
  3. Victoriano Soriano 1945-1946
  4. Federico Ablan Sr. 1946-1947
  5. Angel Salazar 1947-1948

 

Acting Principal

  1. Lina de la Peña (1969-1970)

 

First Alumnus

  1. Francisco Galarrita (1970-1984)

On June 19, 1965, R.A. 4247 enacted by the Fifth Congress of the Republic of the Philippines was approved, converting the Misamis Oriental High School into a national high school to be known as the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School. The early high school course included the intermediate grades but in 1926, due to an increase in enrolment and lack of school buildings, the intermediate students were separated from the high school administration. The school had its first graduation in 1922. The first American Principal was Henry Smith, and the last was William Goldrich. The first Filipino principal was Simeon Vale (1928). On June 1, 1965, Republic Act 4247 converted the MOHS into a national high school to be known as the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School. On July 1970, late afternoon classes were opened under the auspices of the Provincial Government and continued up to school year 1981-82. However, the Schools Division Superintendent of Misamis Oriental strongly recommended the conversion of the said school into a Provincial High School, to be supported by the province. It became known as the Misamis Oriental Provincial High School (MOPHS), late afternoon classes, occupying the same school site as MOGCHS. In 1990-91, MOPHS was transferred to Balingasag. The first Principal of MOGCHS was Mr. Francisco C. Galarrita (1st alumnus principal). He was followed by Mrs. Nenita Ilg. Dael, Mr. Pedrito D. Acac, Mrs. Angela M. Paler, and Mr. Maximo L. Natindim, Jr. (2nd alumnus principal)., Mr. Pedro H. Montejo, Mrs. Josefina S. Dagasuan, OIC, Mrs. Pura G. Villar. The present principal Dr. Pedro R. Estaño Jr., Ph.D. continued pooling resources and made strong representations with outside linkages for infrastructure and other development facilities to maintain the schools premier stand.